An Eternity to Live, a Moment To DieAuthor: awyvern
/wyvern (AO3)Artist: aaweth_edainPairings/characters:
Merlin/Arthur, Merlin/Mordred, Arthur/Mithian, Uther/Helen (background pairings: Gwen/Lancelot, Percival/Sefa, Arthur/Cenred, canon!Arthur/Gwen); Morgana, the Cailleach, Will, Freya, Leon, Gwaine, Percival, Cornelius Sigan, Cenred, Gaius, Edwin, Elena.Rating:
Explicit/NC-17 (violence and sexual content).Word Count:
Violence, reincarnation, character death (not Arthur/Merlin), angst, hurt/comfort.Summary:
Modern AU (reincarnation). Follows canon up to Arthur’s death in 5x13, but deviates after that.
Arthur dies in Merlin’s arms after being stabbed by Mordred, and is sent to Avalon. As it turns out, the Great Dragon was right about something and Arthur gets to live life after life, unknowingly waiting for his destiny and an age-old prophecy to come true.
When Merlin dies, being a creature of magic, he is confronted by the Cailleach and gets the choice to either stay immortal, waiting for Arthur, or to be reincarnated until the two of them are reunited. Unable to imagine living forever with nothing but memories to sustain him, Merlin chooses to forget and be reborn.
Morgana gets the same choice, but chooses immortality. What she doesn’t realise is that she will be stuck watching over the very people who caused her death, waiting for them to fulfil their joint destiny and setting her free.
She also doesn’t know that her wards are in danger and that the inevitable storm is drawing closer...Author's notes:
All my love, respect and thank yous
to the following people:
, for running this fest and doing so brilliantly. I’m happy and honoured that I got to be a part of it.
- Ana, for alternating between cheering me on and threatening my life when I wanted to give up. She also endured my endless whining and angry outbursts when I let frustration get the better of me. I truly would never have finished this story if it wasn’t for you. ♥
- Cat, for having the patience and skills to sort out the virtual grammar catastrophe that used to be my story.
- Jinx, for rummaging through my grammar errors and heaps of unnecessary words and finding something worth salvaging, and for never giving up on me.
, for becoming my britpicker, cheerleader and beta when things didn’t work out the way I wanted them to. You’re absolutely fantastic and I really can't thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me the past few months.
- The entire LM Hive Mind, for helping me out when I stumbled into the chat at all hours of the day to ask for words I couldn’t find on my own. Thanks, lovelies! *hive fives everyone*
- Everyone who has given me advice or/and encouragement along the way. (You guys know who you are.) I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it.
- The last shout out goes to my amazing artist Kay (aaweth_edain
) who saved me when I asked for an artist only two weeks before posting began and who bore with me when I suddenly decided I wanted traditional art instead of manips. I love the art you made for the story. Thank you.Artist's notes:
Hello everyone! I hope you like my art. I was trying to create a stained glass look for the windows or background. Your lovely author gave me lots to work with and helped create the cover, which I think turned out wonderfully! If you are interested, the titles of the books flying around are '1984' 'Carrie', and 'The Hobbit'. I had a lot of fun creating the art.Story link: AO3Art link: LivejournalDisclaimer:
Merlin belongs to Shine and BBC. No profit is being made from this project.